FINNISH 102A: Intermediate Finnish
MWF 12-1 Fall 2020, Remote. Instructor: Lotta Weckström
Instructional Method, as of July 22, 2020:
This class will be taught remotely, per the July 21 campus announcement.
This is a cross campus listed course and will be taught with the quarter schedule to accommodate students from other UC campuses. Instruction begins according to Berkeley schedule, on 8/26. All UC students are warmly welcome to join! UCB students will participate in this class in the classroom, enrolled students from other campuses via Zoom, a conferencing / distance teaching platform. Three hours of instruction per week.
- Students develop their communicative skills.
- Students develop their reading comprehension of different text types.
- Students work on their skills of vocabulary, syntax, and idioms and continue to familiarize themselves with colloquial Finnish.
- All four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing are practiced.
- Students work on writing in different genres.
- Cultural information and everyday life in modern Finland will be discussed in the context of the study materials.
Workload: About five hours of work outside of class per week, including independent work with media sources and different texts. Midterm exam, Language Log entries in Finnish and a final project.
1. Suomen mestari 2 (2012) Gehring & Heinzmann. FinnLectura Ab.ISBN 978-951-792-477
- Materials provided by the instructor
PREREQUISITES: Finnish 1A and 1B. Students who have acquired basic Finnish skills elsewhere should contact the instructor prior to enrolling in this class.
If you are not a currently registered student, you may be able to enroll via Concurrent Enrollment, UC Berkeley Extension. Please note that the Concurrent Enrollment application must be approved by the department. Approval is based on availability of space in the class; enrolled UC students on a waitlist have priority. Intermediate Finnish is not open to native, or near-native-speakers of Finnish. Course cannot be repeated without prior consent from the language coordinator.